Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Three Mrs.

What I read:
For this new blog post, I've started reading A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.  I've heard that it's a classic science fiction novel.

Meg, the main character, is a 13-year old girl that lives with her mom and her three brothers.  Two of her brothers are twins and their names are Sandy and Dennys. They are 10 years old.  They also have a youngest brother called Charles Wallace who is strange yet very smart.  He is only five years old.  They have a father, but he is missing at the start of the book.  Other people think that the father is dead, but Meg and her mother don't believe it.

At the beginning of the story, Meg, her mother, and Charles Wallace meet and old woman called Mrs. Whatsit.  When Mrs. Whatsit arrives at their house, she talks about a "tesseract" that is in existence, which makes Meg's mother have a strong reaction.

Soon Meg and Charles Wallace leave the house and meet Mrs. Who in a cabin that is supposed to be haunted.  Mrs. Who speaks different languages, one of which is Latin.  At this point, they have already picked up another companion, which is a slightly older boy named Calvin.  Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin meet one last "Mrs. W" who is Mrs. Which.  She seems to have the ability to appear out of thin air.  All three of the Mrs. Ws are strange in one way or another.

What I thought about:
I certainly wonder what a "tesseract" is.  It mentions in the book that Meg's father was working on something about a tesseract when he disappeared.  I think that this tesseract is going to be an important part of the story.


Everybody in the story thinks that Meg and her family are crazy and weird because they don't believe that the father is dead.  This got me thinking about how hard it is to deal with something when no one else believes you.  It would be hard enough to deal with the disappearance of a loved one, but even worse to deal with people around you treating you like you are insane.

What I conclude:
This book sounds really interesting already.  Normally I'm a fan of science fiction movies, but not novels.  I'm excited to have the chance to read one of my favorite genres for this assignment.  I've also been curious about this book for a long time.  I can't wait to get to the end of this book to find out what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment