Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Interracial Friends

What I read: On Saturday morning, Sumiko takes her cousin Bull to the river where they meet Frank and his older brother Joseph.  At first, Joseph and Bull introduce themselves respectfully but a little distant.  But later Joseph and Bull talk about their different farms and they warm up to each other.  By the end of the meeting they seem friendly.




Joseph is about the go fight in the war in about a month. This upsets Frank because all of his older brothers are already fighting.  This is obviously dangerous because they might die in the war.

  

What I thought about: When Sumiko brings Bull to meet Frank and Joseph, she asks Frank why they have English sounding names instead of "Indian" names.  Frank says it's because the state of Arizona won't let them.  This makes me think about how unfair it is to not follow your own culture.  For example, in the state of Arizona American Indians aren't allowed to have names from their own culture.  
They must have English names like Frank and Joseph.  I think this is wrong because it's horrible to lose your culture. 
Another example is that my name is Nia.  My name can be pronounced in both English and Spanish, but my name is actually Swahili.  My parents thought this was a good name for me.  It seems unfair that some government would tell them that they couldn't name me that.  


What I conclude: As I read these chapters it reminded me about how possible it is to have friendships between people that come from two different races.  In the book Bull and Joseph accept each others differences and cultures.  So do Sumiko and Frank.  It can be hard to break barriers sometimes, but once you do you discover that you have more in common than you think.  For instance, my best friend in Los Angeles is white and her parents are from Australia.  I'm black and from Ecuador.  My mom is white and my dad is black.  Just because my friend and I are from different places and races doesn't mean we must hate each other.

2 comments: